|Published||January 24, 2023|
|Location||Los Alamos, NM|
What You Will Do
The selected candidate will be a member of the Network & Infrastructure Engineering - Engineering & Security Services (NIE-ESS) group working with the Security Applications Team. This team is responsible for managing various commercial off the shelf (COTS) and in-house developed security applications for the laboratory.
The successful candidate will be supporting the Terminus application, an in-house developed enterprise solution that tracks and documents systems on the network no matter how they are connected, performs vulnerability scans on the systems if possible, and blocks hosts from the network based on a complex set of compliance and vulnerability checks. This system is extremely complex with many interdependencies with other enterprise services. The successful candidate will be self-driven, analytical, creative, and patient. They will enjoy working with others, whether their own team, customers, or subject matter experts from other organizations.
- Troubleshooting issues with network vulnerability scanning tools - primarily Tenable applications.
- Working with network operators and engineers to troubleshoot issues with host discovery tools.
- Working with developers to test new releases, troubleshoot bugs, and improve the Terminus application.
- Collaborating with multiple teams to integrate Terminus with other services or data sources.
- Assisting vulnerability analysis experts with false positives or risk evaluations.
- Assisting security compliance personnel with network audits.
- Assisting incident response personnel with incident management in regard to host quarantine solutions or scanning questions.
- Providing tier 3 technical support to system owners and administrators.
- Maintaining application documentation for end users.
- Preparing and delivering security presentations to technical personnel and senior level management.
- Helping to evaluate new vulnerability scanning and host discovery tools.
- Creating and maintaining automated monitoring of data ingestion and processes.
This position will be filled at either the Cybersecurity Technical Staff 2 or 3 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 2 ($87,200 - $142,500)
- Experience with using security tools and technologies, including Domain Naming Service (DNS), Active Directory (AD), Windows PowerShell, Windows credential stores, TCP stack, and Wireshark
- Experience with administering Windows and *NIX in an enterprise environment.
- Experience identifying and remediating vulnerabilities on systems.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience with technical writing and maintaining user documentation.
- Experience working with other technical teams to troubleshoot issues with service integrations.
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 3 ($105,700 - $176,400)
- All Cybersecurity Technical Staff 2 requirements.
- Advanced experience with network security.
- Experience with maintaining, optimizing, and troubleshooting Tenable solutions.
- Experience with Normalized Databases.
- Experience with data analysis and business intelligence (BI) tools.
Education/Experience at lower level: Cybersecurity Technical Staff 2 requires a bachelor's degree in a technical field and a minimum of 5 years' related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Education/Experience at higher level: Cybersecurity Technical Staff 3 requires a bachelor's degree in a technical field and a minimum of 8 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with any object-oriented programming language.
- Splunk user training
- Strong analytical, documentation, communication, and teaming skills
Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos with the potential for teleworking from a location within 2 hours ground commute of this location. Reporting onsite will be periodically required. Telework is at the discretion of management and can change at any time with appropriate notice.
The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires.
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
§ PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
§ Dental and vision insurance
§ Free basic life and disability insurance
§ Paid childbirth and parental leave
§ Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
§ Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
§ Flexible schedules and time off (PTO, and holidays)
§ Onsite gyms and wellness programs
§ Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance which requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances. Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.Employment StatusFull Time