Senior Cybersecurity Engineer / Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE)
|Published||March 15, 2023|
Own Your Future.
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is seeking an senior Cybersecurity Engineer / Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE) to perform the role of Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE) for a customer operating out of Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) in Washington, DC and Chantilly, VA, with travel up to 20%, as required by the Government. The ISSE serves as the Program Office's information security professional responsible for conducting information system security engineering activities that capture and refine information security requirements and ensures security requirements are integrated into system and security architecture designs. The ISSE works with System Engineering teams to incorporate cyber resiliency objectives, techniques, and design principles into all system engineering and development efforts throughout the systems development life cycle (SDLC).
Why is MTSI known as a Great Place to Work?
- Interesting Work: Our co-workers support some of the most important and critical programs to our national defense and security.
- Values: Our first core value is that employees come first. We challenge our co-workers to provide the highest level of support and service, and reward them with some of the best benefits in the industry.
- 100% Employee Ownership: we have a stake in each other's success, and the success of our customers. It's also nice to know what's going on across the company; we have company wide town-hall meetings three times a year.
- Great Benefits - Most Full-Time Staff Are Eligible for:
- Starting PTO accrual of 20 days PTO/year + 10 holidays/year
- Flexible schedules
- 6% 401k match with immediate vesting
- Semi-annual bonus eligibility (July and December)
- Company funded Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - a separate qualified retirement account
- Up to $10,000 in annual tuition reimbursement
- Other company funded benefits, like life and disability insurance
- Optional zero deductible Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan
- Track Record of Success: We have grown every year since our founding in 1993
Modern Technology Solutions, Inc. (MTSI) is a 100% employee-owned engineering services and solutions company that provides high-demand technical expertise in Digital Transformation, Modeling and Simulation, Rapid Capability Development, Test and Evaluation, Artificial Intelligence, Autonomy, Cybersecurity and Mission Assurance.
MTSI delivers capabilities to solve problems of global importance. Founded in 1993, MTSI today has employees at over 20 offices and field sites worldwide.
For more information about MTSI, please visit www.mtsi-va.com .
As a senior Cybersecurity Engineer / Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE) with MTSI you will perform the role of Information Systems Security Engineer (ISSE) for a customer operating out of Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) in Washington, DC and Chantilly, VA, with travel up to 20%, as required by the Government. The ISSE serves as the Program Office's information security professional responsible for conducting information system security engineering activities that capture and refine information security requirements and ensures security requirements are integrated into system and security architecture designs. The ISSE works with System Engineering teams to incorporate cyber resiliency objectives, techniques, and design principles into all system engineering and development efforts throughout the systems development life cycle (SDLC).
Your essential job functions will include but may not be limited to:
- Serve as the Information Systems Security Officer (ISSE) providing technical input, recommendations, and assistance with the implementation of both higher and granular-level cyber security approaches, methods and solutions that incorporate and maintain compliance to requirements resulting from laws, regulations, and other pertinent guidance.
- Participation in acquisition meetings (PMR, PDR, CDR, etc.), concept of operation (CONOP) working groups, change boards, technical exchange meetings and other similar activities.
- Designing and developing security requirements that drive down risk while maintaining operational capability.
- Working between architecture-level and implementation-level engineering meetings to maintain a system-wide view of security functions and apply risk mitigation strategies at the appropriate level.
- Guiding and verifying defense contractors' work against program requirements and goals. This includes participating in technical discussions, trade studies and working groups, and conducting research on industry best practices for potential implementation.
- Interfacing with program managers to explain security requirements, risks and mitigations relative to their priorities of cost and schedule to ensure an acceptable risk tolerance.
- Evaluate newly identified threats and vulnerabilities to customer information systems to ascertain the need for additional safeguards and develop timely implementation strategies to reduce risk.
- Enforce the design and implementation of trusted relationships among external systems and architectures.
- Assess proposed changes to customer information systems, their operation environment, and mission needs for impacts to cybersecurity architectures and continued compliance with cybersecurity requirements.
- Provide inputs to development teams responsible for designing and developing organizational information systems and upgrading legacy systems.
- Employ best practices when implementing security requirements for information systems including software engineering methodologies, system/security engineering principles, secure design, secure architecture, and secure coding techniques.
- Keep abreast of current and new security technologies and threats to better support the customer in maintaining cybersecurity resilience.
- Identify integration issues related to the implementation of new systems within the existing infrastructure; recommend mitigation and/or resolution options as appropriate.
- Assist in the design of systems and networks that encompass multiple enclaves to include those with differing data protection/classification requirements.
- 8+ years' technical experience in cybersecurity, information technology, or systems engineering..
- Able to demonstrate understanding of cybersecurity needs of systems at varied stages of the SDLC.
- Firm understanding of the DoD 8500.1-M, DoDM 5205.07, Volume 1, Joint SAP Implementation Guide (JSIG), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-53, Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) Number 503.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly translate client technical needs into technical specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks, drive projects to closure, assimilate and correlate project information in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and articulate risk, including to non-technical audiences.
- Experience working on DISA Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) implementation.
- Experience working on-site in a government client environment.
- Familiarity with security procedures while working in a SCIF/SAPF environment.
- Cloud Security Implementation experience.
- Familiarity and experience with NSA requirements for COMSEC.
- Capable of applying system security engineering expertise to various client programs/processes (e.g., system security design process, engineering life cycle, information domain and cross domain solutions, identification/authentication/authorization of commercial off-the-shelf and government off-the-shelf software employment, system integration, risk management, intrusion detection, contingency planning, incident handling, configuration control, change management, continuous monitoring, auditing, assessment and authorization, confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, cybersecurity, networking, or programming.
- Master's degree in engineering, computer science, cybersecurity, networking, or programming, (DESIRED).
Certification Requirements in one or more of the following:
- CompTIA Security+.
- GIAC Industrial Cyber Security Certification (GICSP).
- GIAC Security Essentials (GSEC).
- GIAC Cyber Security Leadership (GSLC), or ISC2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP).
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP).
- Active TS/SCI clearance, with Full Scope Poly Eligibility.
- U.S. Citizenship is required for this position.
For additional company information, please visit: www.mtsi-va.com