|Date Posted||February 26, 2021|
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) is building a state-of-the-art cybersecurity program to better protect the critical transit infrastructure supporting our nation's capital. This position shall serve as Information System Security Manager (ISSM) responsible for security oversight of a team of ISSOs and supported systems. Reports to the Deputy CISO for Risk Management. The ISSM shall lead a team of cybersecurity experts, develop system security plans based on risk analysis and an understanding of the IT and security architecture of the organization, and meet with system owners to navigate the intersection of innovative security and IT demands/schedules. The ISSM shall expertly navigate the NIST Cybersecurity Framework and its mapping to the Risk Management Framework along with PCI and HIPAA standards for security. Further, a knowledge of system security auditing, security control assessment and use of a governance risk and compliance tool are critical skills. Successful candidates will be expected to lead efforts to implement NIST frameworks and guide more junior ISSOs in their application. The ISSM shall review and approve all system security documentation prior to submission to the Authorizing Official and lead continuous monitoring efforts for systems in production.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Cybersecurity, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management or another technical field
- Seven (7) years of experience as a cybersecurity engineer (Information System Security Engineer/Officer (ISSO/ISSE), having supported cybersecurity engineering and/or penetration testing and having led small to moderate sized cybersecurity programs or projects
- Master's degree in Cybersecurity, IT Management
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Manager, Cybersecurity Engineering is responsible for determining system security requirements. The incumbent also designs the security layout or architecture of a system or network and determines required security tools and existing tool functionality. The Manager, Cybersecurity Engineering further implements system security by ensuring that the entire system works as planned. This includes testing and documenting the entire system. Through penetration testing, or ethical hacking, the engineer may be required to conduct formal tests on web-based applications, networks, and other types of computer systems on a regular basis and shall be expected to conduct regular security audits from both a logical/theoretical standpoint and a technical/hands-on standpoint, resulting on written reports and action plans.
- Leads systems security engineering activities in accordance with National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication (SP) 800-16. Serves as the primary liaison between the security architect and authorizing official and coordinates with system owners, common control providers, and system security officers on the design and allocation of security controls as system-specific, hybrid, or common controls.
- Manages the employment of best practices when implementing security controls within a system including software engineering methodologies; system and security engineering principles; secure design, secure architecture, and secure coding techniques. Manages the determination of the protection needs (i.e., security controls) for the information system(s) and network(s) and document appropriately.
- Manages the conduction of software and systems engineering and software systems research to develop new capabilities, ensuring cybersecurity is fully integrated. Manages the conduction of comprehensive technology research to evaluate potential vulnerabilities in cyberspace systems.
- Manages processes which ensure that the stakeholder security requirements necessary to protect the organization's mission and business processes are adequately addressed in all aspects of enterprise architecture including reference models, segment and solution architectures, and the resulting systems supporting those missions and business processes.
- Manages the documentation process and addressing of WMATA's information security, cybersecurity architecture, and systems security engineering requirements throughout the acquisition life cycle. Collaborates with development organizations to create and deploy the tools needed to achieve objectives.
- The above essential functions' goal is to ensure systems and networks are developed and deployed securely, leveraging best industry standards and a thorough understanding of both security and enterprise architecture.
- Manages analysis of internal operational architecture, tools, and procedures for ways to improve performance. Ensures the most effective suite of tools and procedures to drive organizational success.
- Manages the identification and/or development of reverse engineering tools to enhance capabilities and detect vulnerabilities. Ensures vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Manages authorized penetration testing on enterprise network assets. Performs penetration testing as required for new or updated applications. Exploits network devices, security devices, and/or terminals or environments using various methods or tools to ensure vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Manages defensive and simulated offensive measures, techniques and information collected from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and report events that occur or might occur within the network to protect information, information systems, and networks from threats. Ensures vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Manages incident response support functions through technical activities that gather evidence on criminal or foreign intelligence entities to mitigate possible or real-time threats, protect against insider threats, foreign sabotage, international terrorist activities, or to support other intelligence activities. Ensures the organization can respond to attacks quickly and eliminate threats.
- Manages the processes of research, deployment, configuration and maintenance of network monitoring, defensive and administrative cybersecurity tools. Develops content for cyber defense tools. Identifies potential conflicts with implementation of any cyber defense tools (e.g., tool and signature testing and optimization).
- Manages the support program involved in the construction of signatures which can be implemented on cyber defense network tools in response to new or observed threats within the network environment or enclave.
- Manages the identification and/or development of reverse engineering tools to enhance capabilities and detect vulnerabilities to ensure the effective suite of tools and procedures to drive organizational success.
- The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.