|Published||June 1, 2023|
|Location||Los Alamos, NM|
What You Will Do
The Complex Response Solutions Group (A-5) is looking for a motivated candidate that enjoys working in a fast paced and dynamic environment while addressing the challenging cybersecurity issues surrounding missions of national interest. The successful candidate will primarily support the Nuclear Emergency Support Team (NEST) and its involvement with the Nuclear Incident Response community. The work is conducted at Q and SCI levels.
This position will be filled at either the Cybersecurity Technical Staff 3 or 4 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 3 ($109,100-$182,000)
Responsible for developing and implementing the overall cybersecurity posture for classified computing systems throughout NEST. This requires the ability to independently lead work involving cyber decisions that require the analysis, evaluation and interpretation of policy, using judgement and creativity to form sound cybersecurity recommendations and practical solutions that limit impacts to computer network operations, programs, and capabilities. Candidates will provide guidance on, and interpretation of, applicable Intelligence Community Directives (ICD)s, Department of Energy (DOE) and Laboratory security policies as they apply to computer and information security of information technology systems.
May serve as an Information System Security Officer (ISSO) responsible for a system security plan and ensuring that compliance and security requirements and associated controls are identified, implemented, assessed and accredited for systems and networks.
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 4 ($131,900-$221,900)
In addition to the duties outlined above, the level 4 will be required to develop and present technical reports and briefings on complex cyber issues to convey risks, mission impacts and make recommendations to federal customers and partners.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 3
- Substantial experience tracking accountable documents and performing cybersecurity programmatic planning
- Coordinating work on significant and/or complex cybersecurity issues requiring analysis and interpretation of potential solutions and associated data.
- Advanced knowledge of certification and accreditation processing, System Security Authorization for System Security Plans
- Advance use of the Risk Management Framework (RMF) as it pertains to the certification security assessment process of gaining and maintaining Accreditation Authorizations
- Leading or participating in reviews, assessments, security plans, and publications relevant to the classified security systems.
- Demonstrated experience developing and presenting technical reports and briefings on complex issues to convey risks, impacts and make recommendations to senior management and external personnel
- Understands implementation strategies of NIST related standards and controls as they adhere to all industry regulatory guidance and governance specific to cyber security
- Demonstrated ability to make recommendations of appropriate and required security measures, techniques and methods that assure and provide the protection of classified interests, assets, personnel and activities during mission execution.
Cybersecurity Technical Staff 4
- In addition to the duties outlined above, at the 4 level the candidate will have:
- Expertise in RMF at an organization-wide risk management program level
- Independently lead work on unusually significant or complex issues
- Expert knowledge of and demonstrated experience with concepts, techniques, and standards of cyber security programs
- Responsible for coordination among federal customers and external organizations, and advising key decision makers
Education/Experience for the lower level: Position requires a Bachelor's Degree in a technical field and a minimum of 8 years related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the occupation. At this level post graduate work may be expected.
Education/Experience for the higher level: Position requires a Bachelor's Degree in a technical field and a minimum of 12 years' related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. At this level post graduate work may be expected
- In addition to the minimum job requirements, candidates with expanded qualifications in any of the following areas are viewed favorably.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Nuclear Incident Response community
- Active Q and SCI clearances
Clearance: Q/SCI (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q/SCI clearance which requires US Citizenship. Dependent upon position, additional authorization to access nuclear weapons information may be required that may or may not be available to dual citizens depending upon the circumstances.
Work Location: This position will be physically located in Albuquerque, NM. When on-call, the successful candidate must be able to respond to the worksite within one hour. All work locations are at the discretion of management.
Position commitment: Regular appointment employees are required to serve a period of continuous service in their current position in order to be eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the time required, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. The position commitment for this position is 1 year.
Note to Applicants:
This position will require occasional travel and working non-standard hours.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Directive 206.2 - Employment with Triad requires a favorable decision by NNSA indicating employee is suitable under NNSA Supplemental Directive 206.2. Please note that this requirement applies only to citizens of the United States. Foreign nationals are subject to a similar requirement under DOE Order 142.3A.
Clearance: Q/SCI (Position will be cleared to this level). Selected applicants will be subject to a background investigation conducted by or on behalf of the Federal Government, and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter. This position requires a Q clearance. and obtaining such clearance requires US Citizenship except in extremely rare circumstances. Dependent upon the position, additional authorization to access classified information may be required, which may or may not be available to dual citizens. Receipt of a Q clearance and additional access authorization ultimately is a decision of the Federal Government and not of Triad.
*Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing. Although New Mexico and other states have legalized the use of marijuana, use and possession of marijuana remain illegal under federal law. A positive drug test for marijuana will result in termination of employment, even if the use was pre-offer.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to regular status.
Internal Applicants: Regular appointment employees who have served the required period of continuous service in their current position are eligible to apply for posted jobs throughout the Laboratory. If an employee has not served the required period of continuous service, they may only apply for Laboratory jobs with the documented approval of their Division Leader. Please refer to Policy Policy P701 for applicant eligibility requirements.
Incentive Compensation Program: Position is eligible to participate in the Triad Incentive Compensation Program. You must be in an eligible position for a minimum of 3 months, before July 1st and remain in an eligible position as of the end of the fiscal year, October 31st. The annual distribution is prorated based on the number of months in the eligible position.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Employment StatusFull TimeAppointment TypeRegularRegular
Unfortunately, employment scams are real. Sometimes bad actors try to impersonate a hiring organization in an attempt to gain an applicant's personal or financial information.
Please be aware that Los Alamos National Laboratory will never ask for funds for equipment or otherwise at any stage of the application or employment process. Official correspondence with the Laboratory will come from an email ending in lanl.gov.
If you feel that you have been the victim of a scam, please contact your local law enforcement agency.