|Published||November 27, 2022|
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
Do you loathe doing the same task over and over? Do you enjoy cybersecurity implementation in the latest tech?
We have an opening for an experienced Cybersecurity Software Engineer to work on projects that cover a range of systems, applications, technologies, and research in areas with critical national security interest. You will develop and integrate software, hardware, networks and data to address challenging research and development problems in cybersecurity. This position is within the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) of the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers on moderately complex problems in cybersecurity to bring research results to practical use in our Global Security programs.
- Analyze cybersecurity requirements for new and existing projects
- Develop cybersecurity software solutions to address program and sponsor requirements.
- Provide input on cybersecurity technologies, applications, and/or threats for existing projects and sponsors.
- Recommend cybersecurity tools, methods, and technologies to implement solutions to benefit national security
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain advanced cybersecurity technologies for critical infrastructure and other nationally-important systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Collaborate with developers and mid-level management, often representing the organization as the primary technical contact, sharing relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Solve abstract complex problems, creating complex and dynamic algorithms/software modules.
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of networking and network protocols, compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems programming.
- Broad experience developing software applications in C++, C, or Python
- Broad experience in software engineering practices and object-oriented programming concepts
- Broad experience with UNIX/Linux
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, with experience working independently.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications, at the SES.3 level
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Significant experience in networking and network protocols, compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems programming.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with cybersecurity tools, such as Wireshark, IDA Pro, WinDbg, Snort, or Nmap as well as experience in data science, critical infrastructure, assembly language programming, or with cybersecurity tools such as Bro, Metasploit, OllyDbg, or The Volatility Framework.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNL invites you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch