|Published||September 21, 2023|
Are you interested in being part of a forward thinking Cybersecurity program?
Are you inquisitive, analytical, and creative, with real world experience in Cybersecurity Architecture & Engineering?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are ranked as one of Computerworld 's Top Places to Work in IT 5 years running and we’re seeking a Cyber Security engineer with a background in cloud architecture.
As a Cyber Security engineer:
- Support innovation and digital transformation across the Laboratory as a cybersecurity expert. Develop cloud security architectures & solutions for the most complex problems that satisfies business requirements and aligns with the Laboratory’s vision. Proactively identify and lead opportunities to reduce vulnerabilities across IT systems integrated with cloud environments and authentication solutions. These include AWS, Azure, Azure AD and Okta Identity Management. Provide cyber architecture solutions for machine learning environments, distributed computing, and emerging technologies without clear industry standards.
- Work closely with other IT staff to design and build cyber capabilities which protect our IT systems, while balancing risk and our ability to detect malicious activity. Work in partnership with defensive cyber teams and incident response teams to provide novel solutions, ground breaking analytics, and ad-hoc incident response capabilities to respond to the most sophisticated Nation State adversaries. Support, deploy, and tune commercial, open source, and internally developed cyber infrastructure and contribute to the integration, orchestration, and automation of tools.
- Identify and implement information assurance controls while balancing risk through an understanding of Nation State threats. This will be done by working effectively, engaging with all levels of management and staff, and participating in project and multi-functional security teams within the organization. Work with internal, industry, and third party IT security partners to stay up to date on industry trends, controls and security technologies and services. Collaborate with other organizations to maintain knowledge and leverage industry standards. Provide routine reporting on goals and objectives to management.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Cybersecurity or equivalent years of relevant professional IT work experience.
- 7+ years of hands-on operational IT cybersecurity experience with endpoint detection and response, firewalls, network intrusion detection, packet capture, vulnerability scanning, proxy appliances, and event collection.
- Comprehensive understanding of attack methodologies used by Nation State actors and the ATT&CK matrix to effectively assess risk
- Demonstrated knowledge designing secure network and cloud architectures
- Experience with:
- Cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure as well as integration of internal and cloud environments
- Deployment of cloud controls for infrastructure, platform, and applications (IaaS/SaaS/PaaS), in cloud environment like AWS and Azure
- VMWare, vSphere, NSX, and other on-prem virtualization technologies
- Server set-up and administration, from OS install to system hardening and configuration in a variety of operating systems (Windows, Red Hat, Ubuntu, etc)
- Enterprise networking concepts: packet format, traffic flows, firewalls, routers, switches, VLAN partitioning, and the roles these play in building robust and secure services
- Server performance and health monitoring, troubleshooting, log analysis
- Supporting and using data analysis tools like Splunk and ELK
- Common scripting languages (SQL, Python, PowerShell, BASH)
- Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response tools and concepts
- Distributed computing and big data architectures (Splunk, ELK, Hadoop)
- Ability to self-direct and work independently as needed
- Ability to have flexibility to work outside of normal business hours in support of incident response and project implementation tasks. This may include some overnight and/or weekend work.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in a Cyber Security related field
- Experience supporting cybersecurity operation center processes and tools
- Experience running IT projects comprised of at least 10 people
- Certifications such as CISSP, CISSP-ISSEP, SANS GIAC Security Essentials, SANS GIAC Cloud Security Essentials, or GIAC Public Cloud Security
- Extensive operational experience in cloud environments
Base pay will take into account the selected candidate’s knowledge, experience, skill and/or abilities with consideration for internal parity. APL may offer bonuses or other forms of compensation per internal policy and/or contractual designation. Additional compensation may be provided in the form of a sign-on bonus, relocation benefits, locality allowance or discretionary payments for exceptional performance. APL provides a comprehensive benefits package including retirement plans, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, education assistance and training and development. Base pay range for this role: $90,000 to $315,000.
Why work at APL?
While the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory brings world-class expertise to a broad range of challenges, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, innovation ecosystem where you can feel safe to share ideas and to continue to grow personally and professionally. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas and have earned Best Places to Work accolades in outlets such as Fast Companies and Glassdoor.
Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.