|Date Posted||March 23, 2021|
· Provide architectural direction for enterprise-wide security technology within in a team of information security analysts, and work with members of Information Technology and The University of Akron community to increase the security, reliability, and resiliency of University Information Systems
· Assist with the development and implementation of policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines to ensure the security of The University of Akron's information security and information technology environments
· Advocate the use of emerging information security best practices and technologies
· Assist with the development and maintenance of Information Security policies, standards, processes, and procedures for Information Technology departments and the University community
· Provide implementation support for secure configuration of hardware and software
· Serve as the primary information security handler for security breach incidents
· Assist with the development, maintenance, and implementation of standardized incident handling procedures and participate in regular exercises to test and refine incident handling procedures
· Provide assistance with the design and implementation of the University Infrastructure Technology disaster recovery plan and assist with regular exercises to test and refine this disaster recovery plan
· Design and implement security monitoring solutions and make changes when needed to improve visibility and relevancy of alerts
· Work with Information Technology departments and the University community to foster a culture of shared security responsibility
· Assist with the development of security awareness and training programs.
· Work with Information Technology departments to make recommendations for focused security training for staff
· Relevant bachelor's degree
· Current security certification, such as CISSP, CISA, or GIAC required
· Minimum of 4 years of experience in Security, System, or Network administration
· Strong technical understanding of a broad range of security concepts including those related to application security, operating system security, network security, and cryptography is required
· Must have extensive knowledge of application, infrastructure, and networking operations
· Working knowledge of requirements for organizational compliance with multiple laws, regulations, and standards such as PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FISMA, GLBA, FERPA, and DMCA Knowledge of common attack methodologies, malware, and incident response is required
· Experience with vulnerability management tools and open-source penetration testing tools
· Experience with securing and administering VMware environments
· Experience with securing and administering Office 365 environments
· Ability to script in Python or PowerShell
· Experience with Identity and Access Management
· Experience in Higher Education Information Technology environments
Grade 221 / Salary is competitive
Background Check Statement
The University of Akron is committed to providing a safe environment for all students and employees. The University endeavors to protect the health, welfare and safety of all students, employees, and visitors on our campus. As such, the University will require a pre-employment background check for all applicants selected for employment.
April 5, 2021
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach a resume/curriculum vitae and a list of three professional references to your profile. Please include contact information, including email addresses for your professional references.
After submission of your application, return to the "My Activities" link and upload the required documents under the my Cover Letters and Attachments section.
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with reference to the minimum and preferred qualifications. This is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based. A resume will not be accepted in place of any information requested on the application. For assistance with your application or attachments please call Human Resources at 330-972-7097.
About University of Akron:
Located in Akron, Ohio, The University of Akron (UA) is one of the largest employers in the region and offers an array of employment opportunities. Here you will find a metropolitan setting that places you in the heart of a dynamic, regional economy and in sync with the pulse of business, government and the community.
We are committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff by including individuals from varied backgrounds and characteristics, including age, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background. We are also committed to offering competitive salary and benefits packages to qualified candidates.
For complete position details, visit https://www.uakron.edu/hr/job-openings/openings.dot
Job ID # 12827
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Akron, as an equal education and employment institution, is committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified individuals in its education programs or activities, including applicants for admissions or employment, will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status or status as a veteran. To further this commitment, the University complies with state and federal laws which prohibit discrimination. Questions or concerns about the administration of this commitment can be directed to the University’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office (uakron.edu/hr/eeoaa).
The University also strives to provide an environment free from the negative impacts of gender-based discrimination and harassment as prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972. Questions about Title IX can be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, the Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education or both. For more information on Title IX at the University of Akron, including how to contact the Title IX Coordinator, how to file a complaint under Title IX with the University or the Title IX process at the University of Akron, please visit the University’s