|Date Posted||January 11, 2019|
FirstEnergy at a Glance
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
Position: Cyber Security Specialist
Maintain and support the FirstEnergy Cyber Security Program, protecting all corporate cyber assets. Successful candidates for this position enjoy merging business objectives with security and compliance program requirements ensuring useful and secure IT systems. A strong ability to read interpretively and to write clearly and concisely is needed for this position.
This position is within FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. This position’s base reporting location is in Wadsworth Township, Ohio and reports to the Supervisor of Cyber Security.
- Maintain and support the FirstEnergy Cyber Security Program, including all policies, standards, and procedures, protecting all corporate cyber assets.
- Support FirstEnergy’s compliance with NERC CIP, protecting the Bulk Electric System.
- In conjunction with the team and other stakeholders, develop and maintain security baselines, procedures, and other strategies that effectively protect cyber assets while ensuring reliable and consistent system operations.
- Interact with other FirstEnergy Business Units on policy, compliance, and regulatory issues relating to cyber and information security.
- Support and assist in the development of the Cyber Security Awareness Training program.
- Participate in the Cyber Security Incident Response Process and Team.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Security, or similar discipline is required.
- Two to four years of professional work experience in cyber or information security, compliance work with a focus on information systems, or in another IT discipline where cyber or information security was a significant portion of the position’s responsibility.
- Effective communication skills which includes creating and delivering reports, presentations, briefs, and training sessions. Must compose well-written, professional documents with minimal editorial and proofing support.
- Translate technical output from systems and assessment tools into understandable reports and action plans.
- Work effectively with people at varying levels within an organizational hierarchy to accomplish tasks and goals.
- Work independently within a set of objectives, procedures, and parameters to accomplish project tasking. Able to lead ad-hoc project task teams and other workgroups to accomplish project tasks, resolve issues, and lead/communicate important changes.
- Able to participate in an on-call rotation responding to out-of-hours calls and alerts in support of security response, including infrequent on-site response out-of-hours.
- Ability to travel on a frequent basis to other FirstEnergy buildings in the Akron area. Infrequent overnight business travel (< 5%) to locations within the United States and Canada.
- Holding a security-related certification such as a CISSP, GIAC GSEC, GIAC GSNA, etc. is preferred.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team